Monday, January 7, 2013

Word for 2013~Intentional

For the past several years, rather than write out a long list of resolutions that I know I most likely will not keep, I have chosen one word that I feel encompasses what I would like to accomplish or see in my life.

For 2011, I chose the word Simplify.  And, we did.  Quite a bit.  We rid our home of unnecessary objects, things that took up space, that we no longer used, loved or felt had a place in our current lives.  And, we continue to weed out every so often so that things don't get out of hand.  And, truth be told...it feels REALLY good to give things that we are no longer in need of or using to charity.  Knowing someone else is maybe able to receive the things they NEED, but could not afford to go out and buy. (even if that someone is my child, the recent college graduate)

2012, I chose the word Quality.  This came after a year of simplifying.  We decided to chose quality over quantity, rather than several cheaper sweaters, in several different colors, all of which would shrink after a couple washings and sit in a drawer...buy 1 or 2 quality ones that would get worn repeatedly.  Our time with our girls is limited now that they are older, one on her own and working now and the other in college.  Making the time we spend together with them quality time, regardless of whether it is a text, 10 minute phone call, or a visit home.

This year's word...


Live life on purpose, with a meaning.  I recently studied the book "A Life God Rewards", something that stuck with me that was discussed amongst our group and in the series was, Living for the Line NOT the Dot!  That visual has stuck with me.  So many times we are caught up in the here and now and forget about the future, our eternal future.  So I am choosing this year to be more intentional, more deliberate.

Blessings to each of you in 2013!!

8 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Love this and the words in the past. I'm trying to live a simple life with only what is necessary. We have been going through things to donate and it's a good feeling to free yourself of stuff. Happy New Year and blessing in 2013!

Heidi Rew said...

Love it! That was our word last year and it really changed me. I made more of an effort to be intentional with friends, especially and my relationships have been deeper because of it! Here's to 2013!

Janell @ House of Fifty said...

Great post, love the idea of living with intention and trying to get my girl to understand my thoughts on a few things of quality over lots of items of questionable quality! But then again, she's young and loves everything that is trendy! In time...
Janell

emily said...

This is a great post! Happy New Year!

Brandi said...

This post really struck a chord with me, Lauren. I really need to refocus on a few things in my life. I never thought about choosing a word for myself, but I would like to be more present in lives of the people I care about most. Thanks for sharing friend!

Leslie said...

Hi Lauren,

I agree! ..words to live by, and simplify, simplify, simplify. As my kids move on to start their own lives, we will be doing some major clean up around our home and they will be the fortunate recipients of a few pieces of furniture.

xxleslie

Katie said...

i think that is such a good word. Chris and I were just talking about a word for the year for our small group and were talking about it being intentional.

Lindsay @ Delighted Momma said...

The perfect word for 2013! Such a great post. I admit sometimes I get easily caught up in the NOW and I need to think more long term...thanks for the reminder. I am officially following along so I can keep up with all your updates :)