Wednesday, February 29, 2012

No Pretty Pictures~

But, an update...

Our youngest, whom many of you know, suffers from migraines.  We are going to try to wean her off her preventative meds as we have discovered that she is experiencing hair loss due to them (at least we are 90% sure that is the source).  18, in high school, and experiencing hair loss, so not a good combo!  The doctors were so understanding when we had our follow up today.  They are also going to go above and beyond and have her thyroid along with her immune system tested just to be sure. 

Her nurse practioner asked a couple questions, mainly regarding if anyone in our family suffered from immune disorders...I got really quiet.  How do you tell someone that you are awaiting tests to determine whether or not your first born has cancer?  I so did not want to start crying in front of her or my youngest, nor my husband (who is really getting involved with the girls healthcare, scared maybe?).

My mom, a 30+ year veteran RN, has been a Godsend...researching EVERYTHING!  She calls several times a day with news and tips.  She feels helpless, but this gives her something to occupy her mind while we await results.

I had lunch with my closest friend today, she didn't know...we are both usually soooo busy that we forget to take the time out to "really" talk...it reminded me that those bonds are sooo very important right now.

My other dear friend left a note on my windshield after Bible study...wishing me a good day!  It really is the little things.

The outpouring of love and support from near and far, from those we know and those I've only "virtually" met, to those who heard through a friend of a friend...has been tremendous.  In a day and age where there is usually nothing but bad news on tv, I feel so blessed to have the love, support and prayers of so many! God is so good!!!

So, for an update...our daughter's initial bloodwork (all gyn related) came back normal!  While we are still awaiting results from the 24 hour urine test (the crucial one) and the gastro bloodwork, along with the scheduled colonoscopy for Friday morning...it was a bright spot in all of this! 

If I may, there is just one thing I want to say...hug those you love everyday, tell them you love them, and if the dishes and laundry pile up...it is OKAY!  None of us know how long we are here for, live each moment and everyday as if it were your last.  And yes, I am finally going to take my own advice!!!

We will keep everyone updated as results come in.  Thank you again for all of your sweet comments and emails.   It means a great deal to all of us!

5 comments:

Tiffany @ Savor Home said...

So glad the initial results came back normal! I am praying that all of the other tests go the same way. Your advice at the end was priceless. I so need to do better at living in the moment. Thanks for the reminder!

Michaela said...

Praying for your sweet girl and hoping everything continues to go okay! A note on your windshield...seriously so kind! You're right- it's the little things. xoxo

Karena said...

Lauren I have been thinking of you so much. I am glad to hear of the initial results and your ending thoughts are so very important. Please email me your address...

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Judy said...

I will pray for good reports for your sweet girl...

Judy

Unknown said...

Oh, I love that the initial bloodwork came back looking normal. My heart and prayers are with you my friend. Thinking positive and I couldn't agree with you more. Hug and love the ones near you. Wish I could swing by and pick you up for a cup of coffee. Hugs.