Wednesday, February 1, 2012

My IKEA Rast Dresser~

Hi Everyone!

Hope you are all having a great week.  I know many of you have seen the many versions of the Ikea Rast Dresser that are out there already, but if not...check them out!  Just Google Ikea Rast Hack and dozens upon dozens show up.

Why does everyone love this piece?  Well, it is quite simple.  It is small, comes unfinished, and is under $35! 

We purchased ours because we were in need a something that would fit in our tight back hallway.  The hall is small and has 3 doorways (one to the garage, one to the coat closet and one to our laundry room).  It is tight quarters!!  We had a small bench in that space, but it was a bit rickety and to be honest NO ONE ever sat on it, unless you count hubby's briefcase!

I tried finding another bench for the space, preferably one with storage but nothing would fit.  Then I found the Rast dresser.  Love...storage for small things like keys, sunglasses and such AND it fit PERFECTLY!

I decided to stain it as we had several painted pieces in the adjacent rooms already and I REALLY loved the grain of the wood and didn't want to hide it.  I found new knobs at Home Depot.  The knobs it comes with are just your basic round wood ones.

It took no time at all to stain the pieces.  Yes, I said pieces.  I stained it PRIOR to putting it together as I wanted the inside of the drawers to be stained as well.

I still need to line the drawers and find some trays to put in them, so for now I'll just show the outside.  I am thrilled with the piece and it makes a very unfunctional space, functional.

As you can see, the hall is quite small and the doors make for quite a challenge-the one straight ahead leads to our garage, the one to the left our laundry and the one to the right our coat closet. 

Another angle.  It was quite challenging to find something that fit between the doorway to our family room and the coat closet that didn't pertrude into the walkway too much.

A closer look.

The knobs purchased at Home Depot.  I wanted something simple but different.

I am working on several other organizational projects that I hope to be able to share with you in the next few days.  Anybody else a fan of the new lattice bins at Target???

8 comments:

Dominique said...

Love the drawer pulls. Tell me more about these lattice bins... Hubby just finished the cubbie-sized shelves behind the bathroom door that I've been waiting for for 10 years, and I need baskets/bins!

Anne said...

It looks great! I love when you are able to find the perfect piece for an awkward spot:)
~Anne

Unknown said...

The dresser is perfect for that spot. I love the warm stain paired with the white doors and trim. Great idea staining it before the assembly. Can't wait to see what other organizational projects you're doing.

Unknown said...

The dresser is perfect for that spot. I love the warm stain paired with the white doors and trim. Great idea staining it before the assembly. Can't wait to see what other organizational projects you're doing.

Unknown said...

Wow girl. It looks so great. I have been tempted to try one myself. Well done. How much do you chrage?!

Anonymous said...

Hi, found my way over from Heart and Soul... what a lovely blog you have here :)

The dresser looks really nice. It's so nice to find something that fits into narrow spots. I'm giddy at the moment to have found a desk to fit under our stairs so kind of know where you're coming from. The new handles are cool too!

Amy {Fresh and Fancy} said...

Hello! I just found your blog - I am a new blogger! I love how you stained this piece, it looks so rustic and pretty! I stained my first piece of furniture last year and was a little scared - but so happy with the result! Yours looks great!

Nothing But Blue Skies... said...

Wow! The dresser looks great! Love how the stain brings out the wood grain. It looks perfect in that spot! Do I spy some bird prints from World Market hanging above? I saw some there while shopping last week, and they caught my eye.

xo
-Lisa