Monday, May 2, 2016

Simple Cod Piccata and Baked "Fried" Green Beans~

I am working on learning how to use recipe wiz, but until I master it I figured I had best just stick with what I know.

Simple Cod Piccata with Baked "Fried" Green Beans


Simple Cod Piccata

Ingredients:

1 lb cod fillets
1/3 cup all purpose flour (we used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free)
1/2 tsp salt (we love to use sea salt)
2-3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup chicken stock
3 tbsp lemon juice
1/4 cup capers, drained
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Instructions:

1. Stir the all purpose flour and salt together in a shallow bowl.  Rinse off the fish and pat dry with a paper towel.  Dredge the fish in the flour mixture to coat.

2. Heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of a large skillet over medium-high heat (be sure you use a generous amount so the fish doesn't stick after you turn it).  Working in batches, add the cod and cook for 2-3 minutes per side to brown. Remove to a plate and set aside (we kept it warm in the toaster oven).

3. Add the chicken stock, lemon juice, and capers to the same skillet and scrape any browned bits off the bottom.  Simmer to reduce the sauce by almost half.  Remove from heat.

4. To serve, divide the cod onto plates, drizzle with the sauce, and sprinkle with parsley.

Servings: 2-3

Original recipe can be found here.  We omitted the grapeseed oil the recipe called for and used gf all purpose flour instead of almond flour.

Oven Fried Green Beans

Ingredients:

1 lb fresh green beans
1 egg
2 tbsp olive oil (plus 1 tbsp for drizzling pan)
1/4 cup all purpose flour (again, we used Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free)
1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
1 tsp sea salt or kosher salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp paprika
dash pepper

Instructions:

1. Preheat oven to 425*.  Line baking pan with aluminum foil and drizzle with olive oil. (be generous or use an non-stick cooking spray as well)
2. Wash and trim green beans.
3. Beat together egg and olive oil in a large bowl.
4. Add the remaining ingredients and toss well to coat.
5. Pour green beans onto prepared pan and bake about 15 minutes or until crisp.  If needed, place under broiler for a few minutes to crisp.

Servings: 6

Original recipe can be found here.  Again, we subbed the almond flour for gf all purpose flour.  We also used ONE pan rather than two.  Hint...be sure to generously drizzle the olive oil onto the aluminum foil or use a non-stick cooking spray so the beans do not stick to the foil.

Enjoy!!

13 comments:

Rustown Mom said...

Both of those look great! A friend of mine was telling me that she has switched over to cod because it is not farmed (they feed the fish chicken droppings, she said) I am trying to add more fish into our menus and I love chicken piccata so this is a WIN.

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

I've made the fried green beans before and they are yummy :-)

NanaDiana said...

I am so going to do those beans. They sound delicious!!!! (so does the chicken recipe for that matter). It will be nice when I can get back to cooking some normal meals again. John is still not able to eat so it is kind of catch-as-catch-can around here still. xo Diana

Laura said...

You are the best cook , and I love all of your recipes.
Oh my...oven fried green beans- yum.
Love to you dear friend-

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

Those beans look delicious! I actually enjoy the process of buying fresh green beans and trimming them. Makes me feel like a "real" cook. :)

Nancy's Notes said...

What great recipes! I am going to have to try both of them!
I found your great blog over at NanaDiana's! Great gal and friend, isn't she?
Great day~
Nancy

Leslie said...

I have never tried to fry my green beans Lauren.. this all sounds delicious and I'm a huge COD fan (especially in fish tacos;)

Brandi said...

I tried deep fried green beans when we were in Washington state last year. We didn't really like them, but your recipe I love. I bet the parm cheese gives them a great flavor. Roasted vegetables taste much better to me!!

Calypso In The Country said...

This sounds delicious! I am in my usual recipe-rut so I really should try this! Enjoy the rest of your week!
Shelley

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

That looks and sounds wonderful. Have a great weekend!

Nancy said...

me thinks you need to open a restaurant. or at least give classes on cooking. hey i updated my post today and thought of you...have you seen or tried this seasoning?

https://www.urbanaccents.com/product/parmesan-mediterranean-veggie-roaster/

its gluten free too :) makes me love it even more.

bj said...

ummm...sounds devine

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Wonderful recipe Lauren. Loving fish and fried beans, what's not to love? I hope you try The Recipe Whiz, an online recipe format for Blogger. xo