Thursday, May 26, 2016

Harissa Spaghetti~What's for Dinner Thursday Addition

This recipe was just too good not to share.  The original recipe comes from Mike's blog The Iron You.  Mike is the creator of many amazing dishes.  We have tried many, and have loved them all.  His recent recipe for Harissa Spaghetti did not disappoint.


Harissa Spaghetti

*Mike used gluten free spaghetti, but you can substitute for zoodles or for any whole pasta.

Ingredients:

2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/4 tsp fine grain salt
4 TBS olive oil
2 TBS harissa paste (Mike shares a recipe for making your own on his blog, but we purchased ours at World Market)
1/2 lb gluten free spaghetti or any other pasta
4 C baby spinach, washed and roughly chopped
1/2 C oil-cured black olives, pitted and halved
1 TBS pine nuts, toasted and roughly chopped
Zest of 1 lemon

Directions:

Bring a big pot of  water to a boil.
In the meantime, place the garlic on a cutting board.  Crush with flat side of a knife.  Now crush and chop, crush and chop until you have a garlic paste.
Transfer garlic paste to a small bowl, add harissa paste, and olive oil. Whisk together.
Generously salt boiling water, add the pasta, and cook per package instructions.
Just before the pasta is done, add the spinach to the pasta water, count to 10, drain and set aside.
Heat the harissa dressing in the pot, add spaghetti and spinach, black olives, pine nuts and lemon zest.  Stir over the heat for a minute or so, then turn everything out onto a platter and serve.

I prefer to prep everything ahead.



The harissa paste definitely gives this dish a spicy kick, so adjust to your taste if needed.  As you all know by now...we love spicy foods!!

Enjoy.

Sharing this recipe with the lovely hosts of Thoughts of Home on Thursday.

15 comments:

Stacey said...

I just Googled harissa and it said, "Tunisian hot chili pepper paste". I'd be all for that! My whole family would. Pinning this one. Thanks!

Happy Thoughts of Home ♥

Rustown Mom said...

Sounds intriguing!

Laura said...

Sketti with a name! I love it!

NanaDiana said...

That sounds delicious...but I would leave out the black olives to appease the kids. I have never had harissa paste-had never even heard of it. Oh- the things I learn from my blogging friends. xo Diana

Beautifully Seaside // Formerly Chic Coastal Living said...

Yummy! This looks so delicious! XO

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Oh goodness this sounds wonderful and we love all of our food with a little zing!
Thanks for joining us at TOHOT!
Happy Memorial Day Weekend,
Jemma

Decor To Adore said...

This looks so good! I'll have to pick up some harissa paste. Thank you so very much for joining us at Thoughts of Home on Thursday. Have a wonderful holiday weekend.

Gypsy Heart said...

Hmmmmm, good! Love spicy! :)

xo
Pat

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

We love spicy foods around here! I'm definitely looking for the harissa paste next time I'm at World Market. Sounds like it would work in so many dishes. :)

Christy @ 11 Magnolia Lane said...

I had to google "harissa" too, but it sounds wonderful. I know my spice-loving family will adore this--thanks for sharing!

Leslie Harris said...

this looks so yummy! I love that it's such a simple recipe with healthy ingredients too. The spicy pasta sounds interesting I have a World Market close by, I'll have to check it out.

Becky {This Is Happiness} said...

Sounds yummy! Love a spicy kick!

Mike @TheIronYou said...

I'm so happy you enjoyed this recipe. It's one of my faves!

Brandi said...

Mike always shares the best recipes! I bet the spicy flavor is delicious.

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Hubbys favorite is spaghetti, pinning this to try for later!