Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Wine Cork Project~

 This past weekend I sat down to create a new wine cork trivet.  We had one already, but it was starting to show it's age, and wear and tear of everyday use.

 I started by purchasing Wine Enthusiast's 16" bulletin board kit.  I love this size for two reasons...1) it fits perfectly next to our cooktop on our island, and 2) it is the perfect size to set hot dishes and pans coming straight out of the oven on.  When the weather is not 100+ outside, we use it just about everyday to set hot dishes on.  However, these days we are cooking on the grill...I am not heating up the oven in this heat!

You will need to collect your corks prior to starting the project.  Having a good variety makes it easier to create unique patterns and I like finding a few that are a bit different.  Then all you need is either a glue gun, wood glue and or good craft clue.  I like to use Alene's Quick Grab Craft Glue.  It works really well.  It gives you time to adjust the corks if needed, but when dry hold the corks securely in place.

We have found that the easiest pattern is two and two, two horizontal followed by two vertical.  I have also found using two of the same "brand" make the fit better.  I save the random, fun ones for the single finishing row.

About and hour or so later, this is the finished project:



disclaimer:  we may or may not have consumed the wine in order to collect this many corks!



8 comments:

Katie said...

that is so cool!! i love it!

Isaiah 55:8-9 said...

How unique - my husband would love that! I just pinned some coasters made using corks. Apparently I should have been saving ours!

Brandi said...

Ha! Love your disclaimer! Such a great way to reuse the corks.

henning love said...

my friend just brought me over 100 corks and knew i had to make a project with them but didn't know what. yours turned out great lauren

henning love said...

my friend just brought me over 100 corks and knew i had to make a project with them but didn't know what. yours turned out great lauren

henning love said...

my friend just brought me over 100 corks and knew i had to make a project with them but didn't know what. yours turned out great lauren

Jamie said...

Very cool! I've always wanted to make one of these.

Would love if you checked out the crystal bracelet giveaway I have going on!

Jamie
Forever81
Crystal Bracelet Giveaway!

Laura@Elegant Nest said...

I recognize some of those corks...and may or may not have consumed one of each variety! :)