Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Quick and Easy Shrimp Dinner & An Exciting Announcement~

Wow, is it Wednesday already?  This week is just flying by.

Yesterday, a dear friend of mine treated me to a belated birthday lunch.  We ate at a local bistro called TEN, owned and operated by one of our neighbor's brothers.  They serve wonderful all natural, organic dishes.  The name TEN came about after they decided to incorporate ten recipes from locals into their menu.  If you are in the Atlanta area, please stop in and see them (oh, and the most fabulous shopping area is just up the street).

My girlfriend also presented me with a wonderful cookbook featuring Savannah dishes.  She knew Mark and I had visited last spring and loved the food we had while there.  She thought we would be able to replicate some of them using this book. The name of the book is The Savannah Cookbook by Damon Lee Fowler.

It was actually a funny moment because we had just been discussing how much we (well more Mark) have enjoyed looking through cookbooks and trying new recipes throughout the week.  Our youngest daughter is a great guinea pig, she will try most things at least once.  Well, after she presented me with my present, and I opened it to find the cookbook inside...I laughed, and told my girlfriend, "Mark is going to come home from work, ask how lunch was, see the cookbook gifted to me, and ask what's for dinner."

Fast forward to late afternoon, Mark comes home asks, "how was lunch (eyeing the cookbook I had left on the counter) and asks, what's for dinner."  I replied, "maybe we you should try something out of the new cookbook."

Score...my birthday just keeps on going! (thanks Lisa)

We He prepared Sherried Shrimp.  It was super simple, yet quite delicious. We served it over jasmine rice (I love Trader Joes frozen package rice...just pop the bag in the microwave and perfect rice in under 5 minutes).

Sherried Shrimp

1 large clove garlic, lightly crushed and peeled but left whole (the directions state to use 2 if your shrimp are not fresh-meaning you don't live in Savannah or on the water where they are caught and you eat them the same day).

8 Tbs unsalted butter (I never said this was a fat free dish)

48 large shrimp (about 1 1/2 lb), peeled

Salt and ground cayenne pepper

1/2 cup dry sherry

3 Tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley

Steamed Rice

1. Heat the garlic and butter in a large sauté pan over medium heat.  Cook until the garlic is golden, about 2 minutes, and then remove and discard the garlic.  Add the shrimp and sauté, tossing frequently, until they are curled and pink, about 3 minutes.  Season well with salt and cayenne, both to taste, and remove them with a slotted spoon to a warm platter.

2. Add the sherry and bring it to a boil, stirring and scraping the pan, and let it boil half a minute.  Stir in the parsley and pour it over the shrimp.  Serve at once, over rice or with plenty of crusty bread to sop up the sauce.


And, now for my exiting announcement...

As many of you know, I am the proud mom to two beautiful girls.  Well, my oldest has now joined us in blog land after many months of stalking following my favorite blogs and friends.

Please be sure to click over and say hello to Elie!


And yes, mom is SUPER jealous...she designed all of her graphics herself!!


10 comments:

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Well, happy birthday. Your birthday dinner sounds wonderful. A new cookbook is always welcome. Love the simplicity of the shrimp dinner..yumm! Congrats to your daughter in entering the blogging world.

Katie said...

that looks delicious! and I can't wait to go check out your daughter's blog! yeah!!

Elie said...

Haha thanks Mommy :)

Laura@Elegant Nest said...

Looks yummy...and how fun to whip up dinner with your hubby! Just joined Elie's blog...you must be so proud and excited for her!

Kristin @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia said...

Happy Belated birthday!!!! I love shrimp I'm adding this to my recipes to cook file! Thank you!
XO
Kristin

emily said...

That looks SO good. I can't wait until the TJs opens up by me! And I will definitely have to check out your daughter's blog! Fun!

Leslie said...

How exciting for your daughter! .. and your shrimp dinner looks delicious!

Nothing But Blue Skies... said...

HAppy Belated Birthday!! Looks like you have had a great week!

xo-Lisa

Brandi said...

Love shrimp! I have a friend who is allergic, boy do I feel bad for her! Just stopped over to see your daughter! Hope she's feeling better!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday! And that shrimp looks divine -yum!