Wednesday, February 1, 2017

What's For Dinner Wednesday~

Hello my friends.  Been a busy week here at our homestead.  The painters arrived early this morning to paint our media center.  We went from dark chocolate brown to white, and the difference is amazing!  So light and bright.  Will share after the paint has had time to cure and things are back in place.

This week I have another fabulous soup recipe to share with you all.  Cold evenings are perfect for a hearty warm bowl full of flavorful soup.  And, this recipe is packed with flavor.

Slow Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup (Paleo and Whole 30 Approved)




Ingredients:

1-2 lb chicken breasts (frozen or fresh, prefer fresh and organic)
2 TBS cumin
1 TBS garlic powder
1 TBS cayenne pepper (adjust to amount of heat desired, 1 TBS is SPICY)
1 tsp chili powder
1 yellow onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 jalepeno pepper, de-seeded and finely diced
1 (14oz) can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1 (32oz) container of chicken stock (no sugar added to make Whole 30 approved)
salt and pepper
1/4 C lime juice
tortilla trips (or plantain chips to make Whole 30 approved)

Instructions:

1. Place chicken breasts in the base of the slow cooker with cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and chili powder and place lid on top.  Cook on high 3-4 hours.
2 After about 2 hours, take chicken breasts out and shred.  Return to the slow cooker.
3. Add in onion, garlic, red bell pepper, jalepeno pepper, diced tomatoes, and chicken stock.
4. Minutes before serving add 1/4 cup of lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
5. Garnish with sliced avocados and plantain chips (or tortilla strips).

Original recipe can be found here.


4 comments:

Rustown Mom said...

We've been enjoying soups lately, too. Before it turns spring I hope we have another few days of very cold so we can try more recipes! I have a bunch I want to make. (: Yours looks really good. Chicken tortilla is such a nice combo.

NanaDiana said...

That sounds really good!!! I did not know you could buy tortilla strips like that!!! I think I am so tired of winter that I am about souped out....lol
Can't wait to see your newly painted area. xo Diana

Junkchiccottage said...

I love a good soup recipe in the winter time. This sounds so delish. Thank you for leaving me such a sweet comment on Ron's blog feature of me today. Now I have met you. I signed up to follow you. Nice to meet you.
Hugs,
Kris

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

This sounds really good! I love those tortilla strips. Actually, we love all the Mrs. Cubbison's products, especially the croutons. :)