Monday, February 20, 2017

Motivational Monday~

Hello friends.  Is it just me or is 2017 off to a very fast paced start?  I mean, it's already February 20th.  Weren't we just celebrating the New Year???

Today I thought I'd share what I am currently reading, as it fits the "motivational" category.  My #2 gifted this book to me for Christmas, as she knows I love the two other books I have read written by Shauna.


Below is a brief summary from Barnes and Noble.

Returning to the theme of decluttering everyday life and concentrating on what is truly important, Niequist (Savor) weaves together a series of essays concerning her personal experiences overcoming a life overwrought with busyness, stress, and feelings of inadequacy. After years of frantic living, Niequist has come to the realization that she’s missing out on the beauty of everyday life with her husband and children—that it will all speed past her if she doesn’t slow down and simplify, learn how to say no to demands on her time, and stop worrying about others’ opinions of her. “Present over perfect living is real over image, connecting over comparing, meaning over mania, depth over artifice,” she writes, explaining along the way that she’s found a new “strength” in embracing quiet surroundings and in spending time alone. To emphasize her points, she quotes Scripture, but does so sparingly and intentionally—more often than not, her included references to her faith are intended only to bolster her own experiences of mindful living. Her style is conversational, friendly, inviting, and never heavy-handed, making the book accessible to people of all faiths. Women will find the advice hits closest to home. Niequist’s latest book is her most satisfying blend of mindfulness, scripture, and self-help to date, offering readers the blueprint for a life lived in the real instead of the ideal. 

I am thoroughly enjoying the book.  

Two others I recommend:

This is a great book with stories of shared meals around the table, and includes some wonderful recipes.

And, I love this devotional book by Shauna as well.





7 comments:

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

I was just thinking how quickly this year is already flying by too. I was counting up the days until school is out and it'll be here before we know it. Actually I was also counting up the days until my youngest starts college (and tuition is due..lol) These all sound like great reads. I love the words "Present over Perfect." Those are words I need to hear quite frequently. :)

Stacey said...

My MIL is reading Present Over Perfect right now and she said it has brought her to tears more than once.

The dinner book looks like one to get. I keep thinking about it and just need to pull the trigger.

Rustown Mom said...

I read somewhere that it's a sign of growing old that we think the days fly by! But they do! I finally have my hubby sold on the idea of simplifying so I am excited to get going on it. And, I need a new thing to read, so...

Junkchiccottage said...

Good morning. I am going to get this book thanks for the great review on it. Sounds like a must read for almost anyone.
Hugs,
Kris

Preppy Empty Nester said...

All the books look great, Lauren. I have a feeling "Bread and Wine" would be my favorite. Have a great week.

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

These books look amazing, no doubt I'd be drooling over the bread & wine one! The months fly by so quickly, spring will be here before we know it!

Unknown said...

Amazing Post.. Nice..