Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Pinecone Door Hanger~Winter Door Decor

Thank you to those who left well wishes for my oldest yesterday, either here or via Instagram.  We truly appreciate all the wonderful sentiments and love.

Today I thought I would share a simple idea for a winter door hanging.  After taking down our Christmas wreath, our front door was looking a little bare.  I normally have a wreath of some sort on it, but decided to change it up this go round.  While browsing Pinterest I saw several door hangings using pinecones and decided to make one myself.

I had "dipped" several pinecones in white acrylic paint to use in our home holiday decor this year, and thought they would work well for this project.  The white snowy tips seem to say "winter".



I was a bad blogger and did not take pictures throughout the process.  It really was quite simple however, and was achieved in less than 30 minutes.

Supplies:
Pinecones in varying sizes
*for snowy tips you will need white acrylic paint, a paper plate and some wax paper:  pour a small amount of acrylic paint on the paper plate, gently roll your pinecones in the paint ( I found it easiest to hold the tip) and then place standing up on the wax paper to dry overnight)

Ribbon of choice ( I used leftover pieces we saved from gifts)

Glue Gun

Directions:

Apply a small amount of hot glue to the bottom of your pinecone and then adhere the ribbon.  Do this for each one.  I used 11 in all (odd numbers work best).  Once all of your pinecones have a ribbon attached, I then tied a smaller piece of ribbon at the base with a simple knot and cut the ends on an angle to add a "bow").  Once that is complete, take one ribbon with a pinecone attached at a time and then add one by one (keeping the ribbon on top of the one before so it appears to be one), varying the heights (basically forming what looks like a grape cluster).  Once you have all of your pinecones the way you want them, simply tie the ribbons in a large knot.  I then cut the ends to equal length at the top.  I then added to pieces of ribbon to make a bow just above the knot.  Hang using a door hanger or a nail.

Super simple.

Here's a closer look...




10 comments:

Ron said...

Perfect for winter!!!

Preppy Empty Nester said...

This is so pretty, Lauren. I love it.

Rustown Mom said...

I have pine cones around my front door and throughout my house - I love them! What a simple and beautiful door - the color is lovely!

Stacey said...

Love this idea! :)

Allison said...

I love this Lauren! Your door color is beautiful, too. I took our wreaths down yesterday and it's looking a bit sparse. Might need to do something like this. Happy New Year! xo

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

So beautiful...I love this wonderful idea!!!

bj said...

I've been trying to think what to put on our front door for winter, too..this is very cute..I almost always have a wreath but nothing for winter....thanks for this inspiration..

Becky {This Is Happiness} said...

This is so cute! Love the ribbon and your door color!!

Unknown said...

I 'm making some for gifts thanks for sharing!

Gina said...

Hi, I miss seeing your posts, friend. Happy high summer, it sure is hot out!