Monday, August 21, 2017

I'm back with What's for Dinner~Classic Risotto Milanese

Hello.  Anyone out there?  I had not intended to take such a long break, but it happens. Anyone else feel like this summer just flew by? While I am not one to wish away time, I am honestly ready for cooler temperatures and the yummy scents of fall.  I may or may not already be burning the most scrumptious Salted Caramel candle.  So good.  I hosted Bunco last week at our home, and the minute my girlfriends walked in the door they commented how good the house smelled and wanted to know what was for dessert.  Sorry to disappoint ladies, that yummy smell was from the candle and I prepared healthy berries with honey lime drizzle for dessert. LOL

I had several friends ask for this recipe after I posted it on Facebook and Instagram last night.  As you all know I try to throw in one meatless dish a week, and other nights we rotate our protein.  This did not disappoint and #2 had leftovers for lunch.



Classic Risotto Milanese

Ingredients:

5 C unsalted chicken stock (we use Kitchen Basics brand)
1 1/2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
1 1/4 C diced onion
1 1/2 C uncooked Arborio rice
5/8 tsp kosher salt (guess my friends ;-)
1/4 tsp saffron threads, crushed (be forewarned saffron is the priciest herb out there)
1/2 C dry white wine
1 TBS butter (we use vegan)
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1.5 ounces Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/3 cup) (we used Go Veggie Vegan)
2 TBS chopped flat-leaf parsley (fresh from the garden)

Directions:

1. Bring stock to a simmer in a saucepan (do not boil).  Keep warm over low heat.
2. Heat a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat.  Add onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Add rice, salt, and saffron; cook 1 minute, stirring frequently.  Add wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently.  Stir in 1 1/2 cups stock; cook 4 minutes or until liquid is nearly absorbed, stirring constantly.  Add remaining stock, 3/4 cup at a time, stirring nearly constantly until each portion is absorbed before adding the next (about 22 minutes total); reserve 1/3 cup stock at last addition.  Remove pan from heat.  Stir in reserved 1/3 cup stock, butter, pepper, and cheese. Top with parsley.

For a bit heartier meal we steamed some frozen asparagus cut into bite size pieces and added in during the last few minutes of cooking.  You could also use broccoli as well.

This is a heart meal in itself, but could also be served as a side dish.

Tonight we are cooking up a new Cilantro Lime Chicken dish with Strawberry Jalapeno Salsa..

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Stacey said...

This sounds so delicious and satisfying! I'm going to give it a try but shhh we won't tell my hubby that there's chicken broth in there. He thinks it's gross.

Billie Jo said...

Yay!
You are back!!!
Your meal sounds tasty!
And I am burning an apple cider candle now...
I would love to decorate for fall!!!
I may wait one more week!

Blondie's Journal said...

Heavenly, and the recipe looks yummy! Ha...the candles?!!!

Summer is very hard...I need to get moving on posting more.

Jane x

Andrea Nine said...

I'll be making this and gobbling it up!!! GREAT recipe!!

Rustown Mom said...

That looks good and I am always looking to add more veggies to dinner! I am looking forward to you posting the strawberry jalapeno salsa recipe - hint hint! (:

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

That looks amazing!!! I try to have meatless days at least once a week also, so this is going on my to make list!

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

This sounds so yummy! My kids used to be so disappointed when they came home from school and smelled something delicious...only to find it was a candle burning! Lol! I'm so ready for fall too. I had pumpkin spice creamer in my coffee today. Twice. :)