Peppered Candied Bacon and Asparagus
4-5 pieces of uncured nitrate free peppered bacon (keep 1 TBS of the rendered bacon fat for cooking)
1 TBS or more of coconut sugar (divided)
1 bunch of large asparagus (about 15-20 spears)
1 shallot (sliced)
1/4 tsp each sea salt/black pepper
1 tsp or more of lemon juice (optional but brings out the flavors!)
1. Preheat oven to 400*F. Lining a baking pan with foil.
2. Place 4-5 pieces of uncured smoked or regular peppered bacon on baking tray.
3. Sprinkle with 1/2 to 3/4 TBS of coconut sugar. Make sure it's evenly distributed on bacon.
4. Bake on bottom rack for 15-18 minutes.
5. Remove from oven. The longer the crispier. You can easily do this in the microwave too if you are short on time.
6. Spoon 1-2 TBS of the bacon juice into a bowl. Let it sit for later use.
7. Once bacon is somewhat cooled, chop it into small pieces. Set aside.
8. Next clean your asparagus and trim bottom stems.
9. Slice your shallot lengthwise.
10. Place the bacon fat in a large skillet on medium heat.
11. Add in your asparagus, shallot, pepper, sea salt, and a little more coconut sugar if desired.
12. Saute veggies for about 10 minutes or until asparagus is more golden and only slightly crispy on the ends. (time with vary depending on the thickness of your spears)
13. Remove from heat.
14. Place asparagus in a serving dish and add your candied bacon bits.
15. Spoon any extra juice from the skillet over the asparagus/shallots/bacon.
16. Feel free to add more pepper/lemon/salt here if desired.
This was a tasty side that would be perfect with any number of proteins. We chose to serve along beef filets.
*original recipe can be found here.