I don't know about you, but for me fall just seems to call for soup. Now if our crazy 80 degree weather would cooperate, it would seem a bit more like fall. It is November after all.
Those of you who follow me on IG caught a glimpse of this yummy goodness, and many requested the recipe. So, here ya go!
Roasted Butternut Squash and Bacon Soup
1 butternut squash (about 3 lbs), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch chunks (we purchased already cut up-time saver, and if you've ever cut on up before you know they are worse than a watermelon!)
1 onion, diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
4 slices of bacon, diced
2 TBS olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste (we always use sea salt and white pepper as I cannot eat black pepper)
For the Soup:
4 slices bacon, diced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 1/2 C chicken stock, or more, to taste
1/4 C crumbled goat cheese
2 TBS chopped chives
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet or coat with nonstick spray (we used parchment paper-easier cleanup).
2. Place butternut squash, onion, bell pepper and bacon in a single layer onto the prepared baking sheet. Add olive oil and garlic; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Gently toss to combine.
3. Place into oven and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until butternut squash is tender, stirring at halftime.
4. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
5. Heat a large stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add butternut squash mixture and thyme, and cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in chicken stock and puree with an immersion blender.
6. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5-10 minutes. If the soup is too thick, add more chicken stock as needed until desired consistency is reached.
7. Serve immediately, garnished with bacon, goat cheese and chives, if desired.
Original recipe can be found here.