Fast forward, honey and I were at the grocery store (TJ's to be exact) and were trying to decide what to make for dinner. Neither of us were super hungry and we did NOT want to heat up the kitchen using the oven (it is hot enough here already). So, I suggested the salad Vicki had posted. Game on...
1/4 C fresh lime juice
2 TBS honey
1/2 tsp cumin
1 clove garlic (we used minced)
1/2 tsp salt
2 TBS canola oil
2 TBS extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
6 6-inch corn tortillas
1 1/2 TBS canola oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 medium head romaine lettuce, chopped approximately 1/2 inch pieces
1 medium bell pepper, diced in 1/4 inch pieces, you can use whatever color pepper you prefer.
1/2 medium red onion, diced into 1/4 inch pieces
1/2 medium jicama, peeled and diced in 1/4 inch pieces
1 medium zucchini, diced in 1/4 inch dice
4 medium tomatoes, seeded and diced into 1/4 inch dice
4 ears corn
1 1/2 cups canned black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 C finely chopped cilantro, plus whole cilantro leaves for garnish, if desired
1. For the dressing, combine lime juice, honey, cumin, garlic and salt. Stir to combine. In a slow, steady stream, add the oils, stirring continuously with a fork or small whisk. Taste and add more salt or pepper, if needed. Set aside.
2. For the corn tortilla strips, preheat oven to 400* F. Stack corn tortillas on a cutting board. Cut in half. Cut each stack of halves into thin strips, about 1/4 inch thick.
3. Transfer tortilla strips to a sheet pan. Drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with salt and toss to coat.
4. Bake for 15-20 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes, or until light golden brown and crisp. Set aside to cool.
5. Place corn, two ears at a time, in the microwave and cook 3 1/2 minutes. Remove from microwave with a hot pad and allow to cool for 5 minutes. After cooling, cut bottom end of corn off, about 1 1/2 inches from end. Pull back husk and silks (almost all of the silk should easily pull away). Cut kernels from husks and set aside.
6. Combine corn and other salad ingredients in a large bowl. Stir to combine. Add dressing and stir to coat all ingredients. Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired.
7. Serve with tortilla strips on top or place a bowl on the side and let guests help themselves.
Original recipe found here.
Couple of notes:
1. We omitted the jicama-TJ's did not have any. Will add next time for that extra crispness and touch of sweetness. Whole Foods carries it already diced.
2. We omitted the tomatoes. I have a slight allergy to them and hubby does not like them uncooked.
3. We used a small (very small) green bell pepper from our garden. I would use an orange one next time for more color, especially if serving for guests.
4. We also omitted the tortilla strips. While I can have corn tortillas and they do make GF as well, like I mentioned we did not want to heat up the kitchen. We didn't miss them. However, you can always purchase the strips premade in the salad section of the grocery store if you want them and like us don't want to heat up the kitchen.
5. Our ears of corn were already husked (so much easier), and I have a handy dandy corn husker I purchased at WS that made it super easy. Just watch your fingers!!!
This salad is delicious. Perfect for a light summer meal, or as a side dish. We are eating the leftovers tonight along with Tequila Lime Chicken. Would be wonderful with shrimp as well.