Tuesday, March 18, 2014

New Paleo Cookbook and Recipe~

Well Hello!

Yes, I do realize it has been awhile since my last post...but, we were enjoying having baby girl at home for Spring Break!!!

This past weekend I picked up a new Paleo cookbook.  I loved that most recipes could be prepped ahead or made use of a slow cooker.



Make Ahead Paleo by Tammy Credicott (we found our copy at Barnes and Noble).

Last night we decided to give our first recipe a go.  Ribeye Nuggets with Jalapeno Pesto. The fact that it was St. Patrick's Day, the Jalapeno Pesto's vibrant green color was perfect for the occasion.  And, we decided to serve it with a side steak fries.  Our family is the furthest thing from Irish (we are Polish and German, with a dash of Danish and Scandinavian).

We prepped and made ours same  day, but you can prep ahead.

Container #1

4 ribeye steaks, cut into bite-sized pieces

Container #2
2 TBSP coconut oil (we substituted with olive oil as I cannot have coconut)

Container #3

1/2 C roasted, unsalted macadamia nuts
1 C packed fresh parsley
1/3 C packed cilantro leaves
1 small shallot, minced
2 cloves garlic, sliced
2 jalapenos, cored, seeded, and chopped
1 TBSP lime juice
3/4 C olive oil
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper

For Serving Day

Sea salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper to taste

Serves 4

Prep Day:

1. Place the steak pieces and coconut oil in separate airtight containers (#1 and #2).

2.  In a food processor, puree the pesto ingredients until smooth.  Add more olive oil if needed to get the consistency you like. (we used our Vitamix)

3. Spoon the pesto into airtight container #3.

4. Store the containers in the refrigerator or a cooler until ready to use.

Serving Day:

1. In an electric skillet set to medium-high heat, heat the coconut oil.

2. When the oil is hot, add the steak pieces to the skillet.  Season the steak with sea salt and pepper, and cook until it has browned on all sides but is still pink inside, about 5 minutes.

3. Serve the steak with the pesto drizzled on top. (we served on the side in a ramekin)

Again, we prepared ours same day.  But, I love that the recipes can be prepped ahead of time.  Perfect for busy family weeknights.


So yummy, and easy to prepare.  Looking forward to trying more recipes from the cookbook.

17 comments:

Laura said...

I love anything ribeye so I bet this was delicious!

The more I read, the more I realize tat Paleo would probably be best for me.
Was it hard to switch?

Laura

Preppy Empty Nester said...

I'm going to buy this for my #1. She keeps claiming that she is going to start this diet!! Have a great week, Lauren!

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

I am going to try that pesto :-)
The addition of the jalepenos sounds so good!.
Have a great Tuesday!

henning love said...

you definitely should enjoy having your daughter home, blogging can wait:-) your meals always look so yummy lauren

Allison said...

I'm glad you enjoyed a fun week with your daughter home. This looks really delicious! I love that you and your hubby are always experimenting with new recipes.

Anne said...

I do love a recipe that you can prep in advance,makes ife a bit easier when you have a very busy day! This looks gorgeous:)
~Anne

NanaDiana said...

How is it I can be in bed, too tired to sleep and this makes me want to get up and cook? lol Enjoy your daughter-blogging can wait- xo Diana

Leslie said...

I've seen this book Lauren and I'll look forward to hearing more about it. It's fun to experiment with different styles of cooking. This looks delicious!

Enjoy the visit with your daughter:) Mine comes home today for one night..looking forward to it!

Mike @TheIronYou said...

That's an awesome cookbook and I think you've picked one of the best recipes. And that jalapeno pesto is killer!

Lisa @ Shine Your Light said...

Oh my, that jalapeno pesto looks DELICIOUS - I could drink it! Macadamia nuts? Who would have thought. Yum. I need to make this whole meal! Thanks for sharing.

Tante Mali said...

Yam, that pesto is the best thing I've ever read!!!
Thank you for sharing
All the best from Austria
Elisabeth

Unknown said...

This looks wonderful and I need to take heed with the Paleo movement. Carbs are NOT my friend, and I hear so many great things about Paleo. Thanks for inspiring me. Come on over an enter our giveaway! I just started following you! xo Nancy

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

What a great little recipe. The steaks look great and having a new cookbook is awesome. Happy Spring. xo

Unknown said...

Yes, I keep hearing more and more about Paleo and want to learn more. This recipe sounds so good!!

Brandi said...

I've seen so many great looking Paleo cookbooks in Marshall's and TJ Maxx lately. I never thought to pick one up, but your recipe is making me reconsider. Everything looks delicious, Lauren!

Unknown said...

What a great recipe....Hope you enjoyed it! xx

Beautifully Seaside // Formerly Chic Coastal Living said...

Yum this looks delicious too! I'll have to look up that book!