Monday, May 14, 2012

Mother's Day Weekend & Lesson Learned~



I hope  everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day weekend, whether you were celebrating it as a mother, daughter, sister, aunt, friend...I don't really believe it is just about moms, to me it is about the love and support of women, and they come in many shapes and sizes, and with different titles.

I had a wonderful weekend celebrating with my sweet hubby and my two girls.  They treated me to a wonderful dinner last night along with my oldest's beau (he's a keeper by the way).

But what I really wanted to share with each of you today was a card my oldest gave me.  You see, my husband and I are BIG proponents of "your child is not your best friend".  We often see so many parents raising kids and trying to be their BEST FRIEND rather than their PARENT.  It doesn't work.  Let's face it, your kiddos HAVE friends, would you want THEM raising your child?  Think about it...

Okay, fast forward...with that said, we DO believe there comes a time in your child's life that you can in fact be their best friend and they yours.  Yes, you will always be their parent first and yes, you will still not always agree on everything, but your relationship can and will change as they get older.

Our oldest is now 22, a recent college grad, on her own, and working.  That time has come where I can say she is one of my best friends (hubby being one and my girlfriends as well).  Her sister is 18, heading off to college in the fall...her time will come too, but not just yet.

Here's what the card said...I'll let you decide for yourself if it was worth NOT being my child's best friend until now.


My Mom, My Friend

You'll never know how many times your voice on the other end of the line has helped me get through a bad day...

...or how often I'll remember some little piece of wisdom you gave me months before, even though it seemed like I wasn't listening at the time.

You'll never know how much it means to me to share my feelings with the one person who probably knows me better than anyone, and who has become such a wonderful friend.

I love you, Mom.

Happy Mother's Day

And, because I know she wouldn't mind me sharing...she added the following...

I love you so much, you mean the world to me. I couldn't ask for a better mom or best friend!

Yes, the day has come when I can say that I am proud to not only be her mom (or mommy as this 22 year old still refers to me much to hubby's chagrin) but her best friend.


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Lauren,

That's got to make you feel great as a mom. Keep that one close for reference to read on the bad days.

Thanks for sharing,
Laura

Laura@Elegant Nest said...

Beautiful card...thanks for sharing. I remember crossing over to "best friends" with my own mom in my twenties. How blessed you are to have this wonderful relationship with your daughter!

emily said...

How very sweet. I feel the same way about my mom!

Anne said...

Beautiful words Lauren...something to always cherish!:)
~Anne

Barbara Matson said...

What a beautiful card! When you left a comment and mentioned an empty nest I had to pop by and refresh my memory because the last time I checked you DID not look old enough to have two out of the house!!!

My daughter is the first to leave but there are two right behind. In four years they will all be done high school - yikes time flies!

Hugs!

Katie said...

that is so sweet!! and so wonderful that you have such a close relationship. my mom is definitely one of my best friends!

Nothing But Blue Skies... said...

Tears in my eyes, and a lump in my throat!
Well done!! My husband and I share your philosophy, but I am looking forward to the day when I can qualify as friend, and parent. Meanwhile, I intend to raise a sweet boy, and try to savor the moments.
xo-Lisa

Surrounded-By-Boys said...

I love it--so sweet! So glad you have daughters to be your best friend!!! I have two boys...always had my heart set on having a daughter but it was not in the plan apparently.....

Sarah said...

I am not surprised at all and hope my daughter and I transition to that one day also...you are a great mom!