Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Master Bedroom~

Today, I am revealing what we've done so far in our Master Bedroom.  There are still quite a few things I would like to add and tweak, but am being patient in waiting to find the right pieces.  Pieces we will be happy with for the long haul.

The room's decor is simple and "quiet" for many reasons.  First, it is quite calming at the end of a long stressful day.  Second, and the BIGGEST reason, is that about two years ago I discovered I have a severe dust mite allergy!  So, in order to keep the recurring sinus infections caused by the allergy at bay, we made some changes.  We ripped out all the carpet and installed prefinshed hardwood flooring.  We actually installed the flooring throughout the entire upstairs of our home ourselves.  We also swapped our old mattress for a custom latex one (dust mites hate latex).  We then kept the bedding and decor simple.  Things that could be washed often.  The decorative items have been kept to a minimum as well.  I am happy to report I have not been sick nor had a sinus infection since transforming our room!!

View of room looking toward the front of our home.  Difficult to photograph as we get tons of sunlight during the day.
Our furniture is Martha Stewart by Bernhardt.  The Curtains as well as the Hurricane lamps are from Pottery Barn, the drapery rods from West Elm.

This is part of the wall to the immediate right when you come in the room.  The flat screen is directly across from our bed and easy to view.

Close up of the gallery wall next to our large dresser/flat screen.  This is a series of photos we shot of our girls down by the river for their Christmas cards two years ago.  Again, we kept the frames simple.

Corner to the left of our bed, and just to the right of the doorway leading into our Master Bath.  The prints are from Southern Living at Home and framed in Pottery Barn backless frames (I love that the wall color shows through).  The chair may look familiar, it was my Granny's chair that we used to have in the foyer downstairs before we redid it.  We had it reupholstered and found a ticking stripe pillow at Home Goods to finish it off.  I'd love to find a little table for beside the chair.

A little closer look.  We added a ruffle this time, and I love it!

View from doorway.  I am still trying to find new lamps for our night stands.  Just haven't found the right ones yet.  Hubby likes traditional, and I would love to find some better suited for reading! The bedding is from Pottern Barn (Cloud Quilt in Ivory), Fishermen's knit Euro Shams (Ivory).  Sheets-Organic from Target (love these).  Decorative pillows and throw-Nordstrom (love the pop of coral).

Close up of ledge shelf (Pottery Barn) above the bed.  The coral and little glass box filled with seashells is from Pottery Barn as well.  The vases from Southern Living at Home.  Books-LuAnne Rice (Safe Harbor/Sandcastles/?)  Great beach reads and fit the decor perfectly.

Close up of bedding.

Hope you enjoyed the tour.  As I said, there are still a few more things I'd like to do in the room but overall am really happy with the way it turned out.

2 comments:

Tiffany @ Savor Home said...

So serene and so relaxing! I love your grandmother's chair!

Megan // Honey We're Home said...

It's looking great Lauren. I had to laugh though because I would be so nervous about sleeping under a shelf! I want to put something above our headboard and know it will be secure if we anchor it well, but just haven't found the right thing yet!