Saturday, December 31, 2016

2016 Year End Reflection and Highlights~

Tomorrow will be the start of yet another new year.  I remember thinking time stood still when my girls were younger. "What"? you say.  Trust me, those of you who are parents (or have dealt with young children) will understand.  You know, the days when the kids are fussin', fightin', dad's out of town, dinner has yet to be served...and all you want is for it to be their bed time. And bed time is HOURS away!!

Well, now that they are older so am I but we're not talking about me it seems time just flies by..."the days are long but the years are short".  So much truth to that!

While I haven't blogged as much as I had planned/wanted to in 2016, I posted when I felt led to.  Big difference.  I had chosen the word intentional back in January of 2013 as my word for the year, rather than a long list of resolutions that would go out the window a week or so later.  It's been a work in progress, but I really think after the events of the past two years that I have been better about being in the moment.  Isn't that really what it's all about?

I will however share my top posts for 2016.  A couple surprised me.  I expected several of the recipes we shared to rank in the top 10, you people do love your food as do we, but one in particular resonated with a lot of you and drew a lot of attention.

Without further ado...

Top 10 from 2016

10. Sweet and Sticky Chicken




9. Paleo Short Ribs with Garlic and Rosemary





8. Hello September



7. Paleo Mexican Casserole





6. Blueberry Brisket



5. Checking In and Where We Are



4. Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken



3. Pray for our Teacher and Back to School



2. Merry Christmas 2016 and Santa's Prayer





1. Ikea Lack Hack-Blog Hack by Daughter


My very talented oldest daughter is a girl who knows how to use power tools y'all!!!  The Ikea Lack Hack was one of her first projects and it has drawn attention time and time again, here on the blog and on Pinterest.  And, in case you missed it on IG or FB, here is her latest creation...


She created this beautiful porch swing for my hubby and I for Christmas.  For as long as she can remember (we are talking since she was old enough to understand what a swing was), I have begged, pleaded, nagged, asked for one.  It was worth waiting 20 plus years for this one, hand crafted by my daughter's own two hands!! hubby you will be off the hook once it's hung, pun intended

We also learned in the process that even though they are 23 and 26 (I didn't say almost 27 Elie ;-), they still are in cahoots with each other and can keep a secret from their dad and I :-0

To my fellow friends and bloggers who have stuck with me through this past year, I truly thank you from the bottom of my heart.  I look forward to seeing what's in store for everyone in 2017, and pray God blesses each of you and your precious families. 











5 comments:

Calypso In The Country said...

Great year, Lauren! You always have the most delicious looking recipes and once I get out of my recipe rut, I will try some of them! My kids are so sick of the boring chicken dinners I have in my rotation! How wonderful that your daughter is so talented! And that quote is so true - "The days are long but the years are short.." I have repeated that so many times in my head over the years because it is SO true! Next week, my oldest son turns 13! Yikes! I am learning to let go a little bit though. We just spent this past week skiing in VT with our kids and my best friend and her family. A blizzard was heading up there Thursday morning so we planned to leave at 6 am to get ahead of it. My friend and her family decided to stay and ski the extra day and my son wanted to also. I actually let him stay and ski with them and then drive home with them yesterday. That was a big step for me because I was here at home 4 1/2 hours away while they were up there skiing. I just prayed he wouldn't end up getting hurt and that they would make it home safely. It all ended up working out! They had the best time with lots of "blizzard stories" to tell and by the time they drove home yesterday, the roads were clear! (We actually were the ones to hit the bad weather on the way home!) I think the whole experience helped him feel independent as well. Anyway, now that I have rambled on forever - have a happy and healthy new year and I look forward to reading more of your blog in 2017!
Cheers!
Shelley

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Happy New Year Lauren!!! I feel like I have "known" you since I started blogging. I love following you and seeing your fab recipes and great pics of your girls. Speaking of which, isn't one of their birthdays on January 3rd?? My girl is going to be 25 that day. Have a happy, healthy new year dear Lauren!!

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Happy New Year Lauren!!! I feel like I have "known" you since I started blogging. I love following you and seeing your fab recipes and great pics of your girls. Speaking of which, isn't one of their birthdays on January 3rd?? My girl is going to be 25 that day. Have a happy, healthy new year dear Lauren!!

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

Happy New Year Lauren - looking forward to reading more in 2017 :-)

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

A great year and your daughter is indeed very talented!!! Happy New Year!