Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Saying Goodbye to Mom~

It is with an extremely heavy heart, and through tears,  that I write this post.  As many of you know, my precious MIL fell ill two weeks ago.  God called her home on March 18, 2017.

She was 98 1/2 years young, and the most amazing woman I have ever had the privilege of knowing. She was part of the greatest generation that has ever lived.  She had seen it all, yet remained positive until the end.  She was never one to complain, rather look for the good in everything and everyone. I remember always asking her when I'd call, "Mom, how are you doing?" and she would reply with a little chuckle in her voice, "Better than the alternative."  She set a beautiful example of what a daughter, wife, mother, sister, aunt and grandmother should be.  God was always first, and her best friend.  Something that didn't go unnoticed by her best friend, as she recommended that one of the hymns for Mom's service be What a Friend We Have in Jesus.  She did indeed call Jesus her friend, and knew she could count on Him to see her through anything that came her way.

Reverend Trosien preached a beautiful sermon from Malachi 3:16-17, "God's completed Gem".

The Faithful Remnant

"Then those who feared the Lord talked with each other, and the Lord listened and heard. A scroll of rememberance was written in his presence concerning those who feared the Lord and honored his name. On the day when I act, says the Lord Almighty, they will be my treasured possession.  I will spare them, just as a father has compassion and spares his son who serves him."

Mom, you were a gem to all who had the privilege of knowing you and you will be greatly missed.

And because she wouldn't want us to be sad, I'll end with a funny story...

My FIL always called her the "boss".  When we asked a question of him, he would reply, "go ask the boss." (jokingly, of course)

When mom passed from this broken world and arrived in heaven, we could just hear sweet dad..."Oh Lord, the boss is back!"

To which she would reply, "Would anyone like some coffee and dessert?"

Ruth Eleanor
August 28, 1918-March 18, 2017


18 comments:

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

It's wonderful she was able to stay in her home for so long. A lovely post Lauren when it's so hard to say goodbye.

http://decoratedchaos.blogspot.com said...

So sorry for you loss. Sending a prayer up for you and your family during this time. God bless!

Calypso In The Country said...

Lauren, I am so sorry for your loss. She sounded like a wonderful person. Sending prayers and hugs.
Shelley

Ron said...

Prayers for the family. 98 1/2 years... WOW!!! xoxo

Rustown Mom said...

Only a goodbye "for now", but wow, she lived a nice long life! She must have been doing something right! Still, I am sorry for your loss...hugs!

Leslie Harris said...

What a wonderful tribute to your Mom Lauren, I think you captured the little twinkle in her eye when she used to answer, "better than the alternative." I loooove that answer but even more I admire the positive attitude and sense of gumption that conveys. I can only imagine how she touched everyone around her with her kindness and consistency. The older i get the more i deeply value the character and values of people like your dear Mom, she reminds me of my Dad. Always there in a solid way. The kind of people who don't have to advertise their goodness or religious beliefs, they simply live it. I'm sending you my deepest condolences for your loss Lauren. I know she will be deeply missed.
blessings,
Leslie

Ginger said...

Lauren, your family is in my prayers. It sounds like she lived a full and fruitful life. I am so sorry for your loss. Hugs to you. xoxo

R's Rue said...

So sorry.

Christy @ 11 Magnolia Lane said...

Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints. Psalm 116:15 What a wonderful tribute to your mother in law, and what a life she led!

Freckles Chick said...

A beautiful tribute. I am so sorry for your loss, Lauren. This world was better because she was in it. Love to you all.
xo

Dixie Delights said...

What a precious lady. I loved reading your stories and there is no question how much your love for her shines through your words. Praying for your family. <3

Billie Jo said...

I was just thinking about you, Lauren.
Prayers for your sweet mother-in-law.
And for you as well.
May her soul and the souls of all the faithful departed rest in peace.
Amen.

Laura said...

Oh, Sweet Friend! I am so sorry for your loss! I was thinking of you the other day because I hadn't seen any "food" posts on IG lately and I was wondering what you were up to. I had no idea the heart ache you and your family were going through. I pray that the memories of your sweet MIL will bring you much comfort in the days ahead. Love you!

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Lauren,
Thinking of you this evening and sending gentle prayers of comfort.
Jemma

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Hi Lauren... I've been out of the loop so sorry this is late. What a beautiful tribute to your Mom. I am so sorry for your loss. She was fortunate to have a wonderful daughter like you.

Beth said...

So very sorry to hear of your loss. What a remarkable lady to live by herself all 98 1/2 years!! Prayers for your family !

Tanya said...

I can tell from your words that she was a very special lady. I'm so sorry for your family's loss!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

I am so very sorry for your family's loss of Ruth....a beautiful name and sounds like she was truly a most beautiful soul.