Friday, February 24, 2017

TGIF~Dinner Addition

Hello, hello!  TGIF.

  I had planned to get a few more posts up this week, but in keeping up with a 9 week old puppy (who has learned that stairs are fun and making Gigi chase him up them is even more entertaining) and getting a few projects wrapped up (which I hope to share next week) it didn't happen.

He's down for his morning nap, so I thought I'd pop in and share a yummy recipe we made last night. How many of you remember the good old box of Hamburger Helper?  I personally was not a huge fan of it growing up, but hubby was so I knew he would love this recipe.  This gluten free, dairy free, healthier version is so much better than the boxed variety I remember eating many a weeknight growing up.  #2 approved too.  And the best part, one pot!




Homemade Hamburger Helper

1 lb ground beef (we prefer grass fed)
1 C onion, diced
1 tsp each paprika, parsley, oregano, garlic powder, salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp tomato paste for extra flavor (optional), you can also add a bit of hot chili sauce if you'd like
1 1/2 C beef broth (we use Pacific brand)
2 1/3 C gluten free noodles (we use Tinkiyada spirals, can be purchased at Whole Foods)
1 C cheddar cheese (we use Daiya Cheddar Shreds, Follow Your Heart is good too)
1-2 tsp gluten-free Worcestershire sauce

Instructions:

1. Preheat a 10 inch skillet with a tight fitting lid over medium heat.
2. Add in your ground beef and diced onion, brown.
3. Add in all the spices.
4. Stir in the liquids and noodles.
5. Bring to a gentle simmer, cover, and turn the heat to low.
6. Simmer about 10-15 minutes until the noodles are tender and most of the liquid has been absorbed.
7. Remove from the heat, vent the lid, and let rest to absorb the remaining liquid for about 5 minutes.
8. Stir in the cheese and Worcestershire, taste, add more salt if necessary.

Enjoy!

Original recipe can be found here.

And now I will leave you will a whole lot of cuteness...

Left: Week One Right: Week Two

Hanging out in my toy basket.







6 comments:

Tanya said...

That puppy is so cute, but I bet he is keeping you on your toes. This recipe looks perfect for a family dinner. Thanks for posting!

Billie Jo said...

That sounds delicious!
I remember Hamburger helper from my days as a brand new wife!
Loving your new puppy!
Wish he and Mocha could have a play date. : )

11 Magnolia Lane said...

Yum, this sounds like perfect, nostalgic comfort food! Love seeing that puppy, I can't stand the cuteness :) Enjoy your weekend!

Amy

Junkchiccottage said...

Yum and Cute all in one post! Love it. The recipe sounds yummy and easy. Your puppy is just so sweet.
Enjoy the weekend.
Hugs,
Kris

Lisa @ Texas Decor said...

Oh, that pup is the cutest!!! Gosh, they grow fast, don't they? It's so funny because my boys love Hamburger Helper. Lol. My mom can't stand it, so whenever I make it, I text her a picture just to make her cringe. Ha! But this recipe sounds SO much better than the boxed variety. Thanks for sharing!

Shirley@Housepitality Designs said...

What a cutie!!!!!....I so remember making the "HH" when my son was little!