Monday, February 24, 2014

Fennel & Garlic Shrimp

Good Monday Morning Everyone!!

If you follow SimplyLKJ on Instagram then you caught a glimpse of this dish on Friday.  As promised I am posting the recipe today.

The recipe comes from Ina Garten's (Barefoot Contessa) FOOLPROOF cookbook.



I love this cookbook.  The recipes within are very simple, with few ingredients.  Perfect for a busy weeknight.



Fennel & Garlic Shrimp

Ingredients:

6 TBS good olive oil
1 C chopped fennel bulb, fronds reserved
3 TBS minced garlic (9 cloves)
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 lb (16-20 count) shrimp, peeled with tails on (we used cocktail shrimp to save time peeling and deveining and it worked fine, I am all about easy)
1 TBS chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 TBS Pernod (optional, we did not use it)
1 tsp fleur de sel
1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
French bread for serving (we did not use)

Directions:

Heat the olive oil in a large (12 inch) saute pan over medium heat.  Add the fennel and saute for 5 minutes, until tender but not browned.  Turn the heat to medium-low, add the garlic and red pepper flakes, and cook at a very low sizzle for 2 to 3 minutes, until the garlic just begins to color.

Pat the shrimp dry with paper towels, add them to the pan, and toss together with the fennel and olive oil.  Spread the shrimp in one layer and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes on on side.  Turn the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes on the other side, until they're pink and just cooked through (may not take as long if using the cocktail shrimp).

Off the heat, sprinkle with parsley, 1 tablespoon of chopped fennel fronds, the Pernod (if using), the fleur de sel, and black pepper and serve it with bread to soak up all the pan juices.

We chose to serve it with sauteed spinach.  I had frozen on hand, but you can use fresh as well.  Just heat a bit of olive oil and butter along with minced garlic (about a tablespoon or so depending on taste), let the butter melt then saute the spinach until heated through (if using frozen) or until wilted (if using fresh).

The spinach was the perfect compliment to the shrimp dish.

Enjoy!!


15 comments:

Anne said...

This looks amazing Lauren:) Have a great week!
~Anne

Lisa Odom said...

I bought four of Ina Garten's cookbooks at Costco over the holidays and we have thoroughly enjoyed them. They all are full of great recipes.

I will have to try this one.

Will look for you on Instagram!

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

Yummy - saving this for lent when I need fish recipes on Fridays :-)

Kris @ Driven by Décor said...

Yum!! Shrimp is my favorite but I don't think I've ever tried it with Fennel - I'll have to make this!!

NanaDiana said...

That sounds wonderful, Lauren. MyHero would love it. I can't eat shrimp but he can! I am saving this recipe for a day when I feel like being "extra nice" to him! lol xo Diana

Leslie said...

I like her cookbooks. They are user friendly and her recipes are always tasty. I've yet to purchase this one. This sounds delicious and i like the addition of fennel 😊

Megan // Honey We're Home said...

This reminds me I haven't cooked a Barefoot Contessa recipe in a long time! Looks so good (and easy!) I wouldn't have Pernod anyway, so I'd leave it out too.

Dixie Delights said...

Yum! I'm going to add this one to my list!!!

Mike @TheIronYou said...

Great recipe Lauren, I'm definitely giving it a try soon!

Mimi said...

This is a great one for me to try, I feel like we always eat fish or chicken. I never use shrimp but we do love it.
Aesthetic Lounge

Jamie said...

This would be perfect for us. I love spinach and my husband loves shrimp!

Brandi said...

I could eat my weight in shrimp. Thanks for sharing another way to prepare it.

Val said...

I think I could easily live off of this recipe.

pam {simple details} said...

Oooh, I love Ina, shrimp and fennel! I need to put this on my list to try it looks delish!

Beautifully Seaside // Formerly Chic Coastal Living said...

So yummy! I could eat shrimp everyday of my life!