Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Baylor Homecoming & Blogger Meetup~

If someone had told me this time last year that I would have made 5 trips to the great state of Texas by year's end, I would have laughed.  But, we have made 5 trips since last February!  Waco, Texas has become our 2nd home.

This past weekend we attended Homecoming at Baylor University where our youngest daughter is a freshmen.  The only thing missing was her big sister (she had to work, and the cheer squad she coaches had a competition as well-they won 1st place for the 2nd time!!).



The homecoming tradition at Baylor is the oldest in the country.  And, when they say things are bigger in Texas...I can tell you after witnessing the events first hand...it was BIG!!

Friday night started with the traditional pep rally and bon fire.





I know some bloggers would be disappointed to see that many pallets go up in flames.  Have you seen all the ideas floating around Pinterest using them for home decor projects? CRAZY!!


Torch bearers.  Four of them are representatives of their respective class, and are honored because they represent what it truly means to be a Baylor student.


Just getting started.  And, that is only about a 10th of the crowd there that night!


You could roast hot dogs and marshmallows from a mile away.  The heat was intense!

Saturday morning brought a light drizzle, but not anything to stop the parade (just made for a bad hair day).





I cannot imagine the number of hours that the fraternities and sororities put into each of the floats.  They truly were works of art!

The best part of the parade however was getting to meet up with sweet Michaela.  If someone had told me a year ago that  I would get a chance to meet her in person, I would have been skeptical.  Imagine my surprise when I learned that her brother would be attending the same university as our youngest daughter.  They actually ended up in the same Psych class too!  So, needless to say...she and I have been planning this meetup for awhile now.  I only wish all of you could meet her in person...she is such a genuine, sweet young lady.  I would be proud to call her one of my own.  Actually, it is funny because she is a lot like both of our girls.  


We had a fantastic weekend, and are settling in back home.  I will be happy if I can adjust to the time change.  We gained an hour flying out, gained an hour Saturday night, then lost an hour flying home.  

Can't believe Thanksgiving is two weeks away!!

Side note:  Please take the time to vote in today's elections!!!  May God continue to bless our nation.













10 comments:

Katie said...

what a fun weekend!! I'd take a few of those pallets for a project. ;) and how neat that you got to meet michaela - i love her blog!

Margaret said...

My daughter is a senior at baylor and we are both sad that her time in Waco is coming to an end. We have had wonderfl girls weekends of shopping, driving out to the lake and Tortilla Tossing off the suspension bridge. We have made great friends and had good times. Good luck to your daughter and I know you will enjoy your 4 years of visits as much as I have!

Anne said...

I am sure it was a fabulous weekend, and how fun to meet up with another blogger:)
~Anne

Laura@Elegant Nest said...

Looks like a fun weekend! That pallet bonfire was intense...love it! So great being around all the festivites of a college town for sure!

henning love said...

wow the homecoming is a big deal!! oh they are roasting the ku jayhawk! wow that is a lot of pallets. looks like you had a great weekend with your daughter lauren. glad to see a blog post from you :-)

Isaiah 55:8-9 said...

How fun! I love blogger meet-ups!
I would have definitely had some marshmallows going with that fire! :) Such a neat tradition to be part of!

emily said...

Fun! And so great you got to meet up with Michaela!

Unknown said...

So much fun! You guys look adorable. And I agree with everything you said about Michaela. Such a dear girl. And your dinner post looks so yummy!!!!

Brandi said...

Glad you enjoyed your weekend away. So fun to meet up with a blogging friend.

Designing Domesticity said...

Wow, that is a serious fire. Impressive. Looks like a great weekend. thanks for sharing, liz