Monday, October 5, 2015

Easy Peasy Egg Drop Soup-Sunday Supper

Good Monday morning.  I pray you all had a fabulous weekend.  We may actually get to see the sun today.  However, as I look out my office window it does not look promising.

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, I have been fighting my first cold of the season (and what I hope is the last).  So, of course a hearty bowl of soup was in order.

Prior to going on a gluten free diet, I loved Chinese food!  Still do, however we have to make our own version at home now.  No more takeout boxes.

While searching recipes on Pinterest, I stumbled upon this one for Egg Drop Soup.  I loved ordering it when we did eat out at the restaurants, but wondered how difficult it was to make.  But then I remembered, my oldest had made some for herself awhile back and said how easy it was.  No offense #1, but if she can make it, mom or dad can (love ya).  Now don't ask me to get in a war of power tools with that girl however!!


EGG DROP SOUP
Yields 6 cups of soup

Ingredients:

4 Cups good-quality chicken stock (we use Kitchen Basics)
2 TBS cornstarch
1 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp garlic powder
2 large eggs
2 egg whites
1/2 tsp sesame oil (we omitted as I cannot have sesame-could tell a difference)
3 green onions, sliced thin (about 1/4 C sliced), plus extra for garnish
1/4 C whole-kernel corn or creamed corn (optional-we omitted)
salt, to taste (I am a salt loving gal and this NEEDED salt, just saying)
black pepper, to taste

Directions:

Whisk together chicken stock (chilled or room-temperature), cornstarch, ginger and garlic powder in a medium saucepan until combined and no lumps remain.  Heat over high heat until boiling, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and egg-whites in a small measuring cup or bowl. (measuring cup is easier for pouring)

Once the broth reaches a boil, remove from heat.  Then use a fork or whisk to stir the broth in a circular motion, while slowly pouring the whisked eggs into the soup to create egg ribbons. (note-the slower you pour the larger the ribbons, learned the hard way). Stir in the sesame oil, green onions and corn (optional) until combined.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Serve immediately, topped with additional green onions for garnish.

Original recipe can be found here.

It really was that easy and quite delicious!  Enjoy!!

3 comments:

Gypsy Heart said...

Sounds good! I so hope you feel better quickly.

xo
Pat

Leslie said...

This looks so good Lauren. I've been using lots of ginger .. and experimenting with curry recently. My husband is requesting I take it up a notch (ha;) and so I'm trying. Happy Monday to you!

Brandi said...

Hope you're feeling better. Lots of homemade soup will definitely help. I always douse mine with Sriracha or red pepper flakes. It helps to clear up my throat when I'm not feeling well.