Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Rainy Day Comfort Food~

Today I thought I'd share one of my ALL TIME FAVORITE rainy day comfort foods.  It is great on a crisp fall night too.  The recipe comes from my Southern pal, Paula Deen.

The Lady's Cheesy Mac
Serves 6 to 8

4 cups cooked elbow macaroni, drained (approx. 2 cups uncooked)
2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup sour cream
4 Tbs (1/2 stick) butter, cut into pieces
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup milk, or equivalent in evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. After macaroni has been boiled and drained, add Cheddar cheese while macaroni is still hot.  Combine remaining ingredients and add to macaroni mixture. Pour into casserole dish (I have found if you spray your pan with cooking spray beforehand clean up is so much easier) and bake for 30 to 45 minutes. Top with addtional cheese, if desired. (I like to top ours with a bit of Panko bread crumbs prior to baking).



This recipe is super easy, and oh so delicious.  I love that it can be prepared ahead of time and thrown in the oven later.  Great for a night when we have volleyball matches and a starving child upon returning home.

Do you have any easy go to comfort recipes?

5 comments:

Tara {The Silver Lining} said...

Macaroni & Cheese is definitely one of my top comfort foods! My mom always made an amazing creamy recipe from scratch. I see it and crave. I have no will power when it comes to Mac 'N Cheese...or really any cheese now that I think about it. Great recipe! I'll have to try it.

Rhiannon Bosse said...

You. Read. My. Mind. Hands down the best comfort food ever. This looks INCREDIBLE :) xoxo

Anonymous said...

This recipe looks delicious. I love comfort food!! :) I've tried Paula's macaroni & cheese that you make in a crockpot and that was a big hit in my house....I'll definitley have to give this one a try too. Thanks for sharing!

henning love said...

oh yum i love mac and cheese, seriously it is a fun go to meal and sometimes i add in peas or cubes of ham to add more vitamins. i will have to try your recipe soon lauren thanks for sharing!

natasha {schue love} said...

Mac and cheese is my ALL time favorite comfort food! YUUUM!