We love French Onion soup. However, due to dietary restrictions I needed to find a recipe that was free of beef broth (traditionally used in the soup), gluten and dairy free.
This recipe was the winner.
Vegan French Onion Soup
3 large onions
1/2 C veggie broth or water (we used Pacific brand vegetable broth)
3 cloves garlic, diced
1/2 C red wine (alcohol cooks out, but adds to the flavor)
4 Cups water
2 TBS soy sauce (we used liquid aminos for a soy free version, you can also use coconut aminos)
2 TBS balsamic vinegar
1 bay leaf
2 tsp ground or fresh thyme
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
1/4 tsp fresh ground pepper
Udi's french rolls or baguettes (thawed out)
Follow Your Heart Vegan sliced Mozzarella or Provolone
1. Slice onions into thin crescents.
2. In a large pot, saute onions in 1/2 cup of water until onions begin to heavily brown.
3. Add half of the red wine (1/4 cup) and minced garlic. Continue to brown the onions for about 3-5 minutes on low heat. Add a little more water if needed. Scrape down the bottom of the pan to release all the flavor of the caramelizing onions. The alcohol will cook out.
4. Add the other half of the red wine and continue cooking approximately 3-5 minutes. Onions should be thickly browning, but not sticking to the bottom of the pan.
5. Add the remaining ingredients to the pot-4 cups water, soy sauce (or alternative), balsamic, bay leaf, thyme, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook on low for approximately 15-20 minutes.
While this is cooking, cut either the thawed rolls or baguette into 1/2 inch to 1 inch slices and bake approximately 4 minutes at 400 (times will vary depending on thickness and oven), you want the slices nice a crisp.
Once the soup is down, ladle into individual soup bowls, top with slices of toasted bread and a slice of cheese. The heat will melt the cheese, but if you would like it browned you can place it the bowls under the broil for just a minute (be sure to watch, and use oven safe bowls).
I hope you enjoy!
This is my hubby's favorite and we are getting 10 to 12 inches of snow today so soup would be a great today.
I love how you do all the work for me in finding these recipes! :) This looks good! I'm telling Logan about this since he's vegan and always appreciates a new recipe. Thanks!
Post a Comment