While the temperatures here are still not cooperating, we did usher in the first day of fall with a yummy fall dish. Y'all these short ribs are melt in your mouth good!
Paleo Short Ribs with Garlic and Rosemary
2 1/2 pounds Beef Short Ribs, bone-in
Coarse salt and pepper, to taste (we use sea salt, and omitted the pepper because apparently I am highly sensitive to it, go figure!)
2 TBS olive oil
1 sweet onion, sliced
3 garlic cloves, sliced
2 TBS tomato paste
3/4 C red wine or beef broth
1 1/2 C beef broth
4 rosemary sprigs
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Heat the olive oil over medium high heat in a ceramic coated cast iron pot (we love our Staub dutch oven).
3. Coat the short ribs in coarse salt and pepper and place in the hot pan.
4. Cook until deep golden brown and then flip each piece over and brown on the other side.
5. Remove the ribs from the pan to a plate.
6. Add the onion to the hot pan and saute until onion is translucent, 4-5 minutes.
7. Add the garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
8. Add the tomato paste and cook for another 30 seconds, coating the onion.
9. Add the red wine, if using, and let it reduce by one half. Add the beef broth and bring to a simmer. If you are not using the wine, simply add in the beef broth and bring to a simmer.
10. Put the short ribs back in the pan. Toss in the rosemary sprigs, cover with a lid, and place in the preheated oven.
11. Bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until ribs are fall off the bone tender.
12. Serve over polenta or a vegetable puree, such as parsnips or cauliflower. (we served alongside dairy free mashed potatoes)
The flavors are amazing, and the meat seriously falls off the bone and melts in your mouth.
The original recipe can be found here.
ummm..we love ribs....
We just bought 1/4 cow with some friends and my freeze is full of yummy beef, including short ribs. I'm so excited to try this recipe--thanks for sharing, Lauren!
Post a Comment