Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Baby Girls Room Reveal~

Today is the day!  For those of you who follow me on Instagram, you know I have been working on baby girl's room in anticipation of her arrival home from the university.  Well, she is due to arrive home this evening after a VERY long drive (12 hours).  Her sweet beau flew out on Saturday to tour campus, and to make the drive back home with her.  The worst part of their trip is over...getting out of Texas!  When they say "everything is bigger in Texas" they mean it.  It takes her 3 hours, give or take, just to get out of the state!! From there on out, it is a straight shot home.

I know ya'll are ready for the pictures, but just a couple of things first.  I had a few ask about the paint I used for her furniture.  I used the same primer and paint for this project as I did when I redid our Pottery Barn piece and mirror.



Primer:  Gripper (white) by Glidden found at Home Depot.
Paint:  Advance (semi-gloss-color matched to Ikea drawer) by Benjamin Moore.
Dresser Handles:  Rustoleum Spray Paint & Primer in one (flat soft iron).

Gripper is my go to primer!  I have used it on many furniture pieces, our entertainment center, mantle and bath room cabinets.  You only have to lightly scuff sand any shiny finishes and you are good to go.  I generally apply two light coats.  The primer also comes in gray, and the white can be tinted as well.  I had it tinted when painting our entertainment center, mantle and cabinets since I was going from white to dark chocolate brown.  Less top coats!!

My first time using Advance by Benjamin Moore was when I redid our Pottery Barn piece.  It was on a recommendation from the gentleman at the paint store.  All I can say is, where was this paint when I did all those other projects??!!!  It is the easiest paint to use.  A little goes a VERY VERY long way.  I used a brush for the intricate parts, and rolled the rest with a sponge roller.  This paint flattens out as it dries and cures...no brush/roller marks.  You can see them a bit when applying, but trust me, for the most part they disappear.

With all the pieces, I applied two light primer coats.  Advance has a built in primer, but in both instances I was taking very dark (red and black in this case) to light or white.  And, then applied 3 light top coats.  On some pieces I am sure you can get away with 1 coat of primer and two top coats.

The primer dries quickly, and the paint generally sets up overnight.  Even in our gosh awful humidity!!

Her dresser handles I sprayed with a couple coats of Rustoleum to match handles on her other dresser in the room.

Okay, without further ado...here is the room.  I tried to get the best shots this morning, but as you can see her room gets full on sun through the side windows making it a little difficult for this amateur.

Study area to the left, repainted bed and dresser.

A closer look.

This dresser was a find at a local flea/antique store years back.  

A closer look at the details on the dresser and the handles.

Ikea Hemnes 8 drawer dresser.  I used a drawer from this to have the paint color matched.  The mirror is the one that used to hang in our downstairs foyer.

This wall was originally solid.  When this room was our girls playroom, we added the nook for our big screen tv, when  the room became our oldest's we added the bench seat that houses storage below (under the cushion is a hinged top).  We will add some more pillows and a throw to this area.

This room has two dormer spaces that are fairly tight.  This one showcases all her volleyball awards, medals, pictures and balls.  The wire basket is from Home Goods and holds her mini souvenier  tournament balls.

The bookcase is the Hemnes bookcase from Ikea.  This is perfect for storing books, yearbooks, keepsakes, and her collection of Bibles.

A closer look at her volleyball collection.

Study area.  This girl has spent many an hour at that desk.  Someday I will have to share an up close picture of her desk chair and the reason why I refuse to paint it!!! The desk and bookcase are from Ikea.  Why they did away with the expedit is beyond me.  The new version does not look as sturdy.

A closer look at the desk.

Her beloved chalkboard wall.

Perfect for adding some inspiration.

This is the other dormer.  The  Hemnes dresser/shoe storage is from Ikea as well and holds her jewelry and shoes (well, some of them anyway...this girls loves her shoes just like her sister).  And, a full length mirror.

Close up of her bedding.  The white quilt and shams are from Pottery Barn (pick stitch) and the Lilly bedding is from Garnett Hill.  The throw pillow I had made along with her bench cushion by our local upholsterer, and then had a girlfriend monogram it for her.

Cork coasters I painted to help protect the finish on her newly painted dresser.  This girl loves her sweet tea!!!

Well, there you have it!  I am just glad I got it all done in time (hence my lack of posts lately).  We can't wait for her to arrive home.

20 comments:

Tiffany @ Savor Home said...

She is one lucky girl! I would love to come home to a room like that! I love how you divided it up into the different areas. The nook under the TV is cute too! Great job!

Katie said...

I love it!!! love the chalkboard wall!

Vicki @ lifeinmyemptynest said...

Such a pretty welcome home! Enjoy having her around the rest of the summer :-)

Dixie Delights said...

I love it!! The chalkboard wall and all that lilly are just too perfect! She will love this welcome home. You must be so excited :-). xo

Shenita @ Embellishments by SLR said...

How pretty! The colors are wonderful! Love the touch of Lilly that you added. She is going to love it!

Brandi said...

You did such a beautiful job on all of the furniture. I can imagine all the hard work that went into painting and rearranging, but it paid off with such amazing results. I bet you can't wait for your daughter to arrive. Now you can relax and enjoy a glass of sweet tea with her!

Allison said...

It looks beautiful Lauren! Your daughter will love it and what a treat to come home to a freshened up room! I know you have been working around the clock on it. Hope your daughter has safe travels home and how fun to have her back home for the summer. Enjoy every moment.

Beaufort Belle said...

It looks fantastic! She will be so excited. Thank you for the paint info. Very helpful!

Nancy said...

she's gonna love it. and probably never leave :) you're a good mama!

Unknown said...

Love what you did to her room. It looks beautiful. Please let us know how much she likes it when she arrives!

Preppy Empty Nester said...

Oh Lauren!!! It is so darn cute... Love the dresser from the flea market.. love the little nook... the bedding... the cute display of the balls .... EVERYTHING!! She will absolutely ADORE it!! Can't wait to hear her reaction!

pam {simple details} said...

What a beautiful surprise, Lauren!! You did a wonderful job on her furniture, I know that is a LOT of work! I love her fun chalkboard wall! Enjoy having her home! :)

Tery H said...

WOW! I love it all! She will be so happy when she comes home! You did a great job. Love the bed and dresser. The desk area with the chalkboard is great-wish we could create a space like that for my daughter. And a touch of Lilly-perfection!! What a great mom!!!

Ron said...

It looks so good and refreshed!!!! I know she will love it. Enjoy her time home, Lauren! xo

Laura@Elegant Nest said...

The room looks fab Lauren! Definitely a labor of love. I know what you mean about driving thru Texas...did you know that the halfway point between Texas and LA...is still in Texas! Fact!

Anne said...

The room is amazing Lauren....love the colourful bedding also:)
~Anne

Lobster Meets Peach said...

The room just turned out perfect! Love all the pops of color!!!

Mocadeaux said...

The room looks fantastic! I have always wanted a chalkboard wall!

Erin said...

Oh my word Lauren! TOO cute! I'm sure she LOVED it. You are such a darling mom to do that. A darling mom with mad decorating talent. Now come and help me!! :)

Becky {This Is Happiness} said...

Love this so much! She is so lucky to have an awesome space like this to come home to...I bet she loves it! Adore the bright bedding with the white furniture and love, love the chalkboard wall! Amazing Lauren!