Sunday, December 22, 2013

Homemade Christmas Gift~

Wow, 2 more shopping days left!  How can that be?

I have a very dear friend whom I have known since my oldest was 18 months old (she will be 24 in January).  While we live close, within 2-3 miles of each other, we don't get to spend a lot of time together as she still has 2 at home (the youngest is 10).  We are however in the same weekly Bible study group, so we do see each other two mornings a week for that since we are both in Leader's council and then she is the Children's Director and I teach the children on Wednesday's.

Each year for birthday and Christmas, I like to give her a small gift as a token of our friendship.  Usually at Christmas time I put together a basket of goodies that the entire family can enjoy, along with a little something special for her.

After seeing the gift Tara made for her sister and brother-in-law, I knew something like that would be the perfect gift for my girlfriend.

Here is my version of the Thankful Box...
















I purchased the box at Staples along with some 3X5 index cards.  I simply wrote the dates out on each card, varying the colors for each month.  I then cut some colored card stock to 3 1/2 X 5 1/2 to make the dividers.  I used my P-touch label maker to make the labels for each of the 12 months.  I then found 12 bible verses (along with the verse for the box cover) and printed them out to add to each month's card.  Most, of course, having to do with being thankful.

I love how it turned out!  I might even have to make one for myself.  It is a simple gift, but I know it is something she will enjoy during her quiet time.

We had a lovely time at our oldest's home last night.  She threw her first "adult" Christmas party.  It was nice to be a guest rather than a host for a change.  Everything was perfect!!

Unfortunately, she woke up with the flu this morning!  The doctor gave her a prescription for Tamiflu, so here's hoping it is short lived.  And, praying the rest of us don't get it.  Hubby and I haven't had it in YEARS.  And, we discovered our youngest has an egg sensitivity so I was leary about her getting the flu shot.  I know some say it isn't an issue, but I am not taking any chances.  She's been through enough medically this year.

The weather here today was dreadful...it has poured non-stop!  I did manage to get our Christmas cards printed, addressed and stamped...so out they go in the morning.  Since most are local, they will be there in plenty of time for Christmas.  The rest?  Well, better late than never.  (seems to be my motto these days)




7 comments:

lindley said...

I love this!!! Was just thinking---I need to start finding some inspirational and encouraging ideas for the New Year BEFORE the New Year starts! Love this! Thanks for sharing!

Anne said...

Fab idea Lauren....wishing you and your lovely family a wonderful Christmas:)
~Anne

Val said...

This is the greatest idea, ever. I great way to kick of the New Year!

Mike @TheIronYou said...

This is awesome Lauren, and - most of all - very thoughtful. Your friend is going to love this.
A very Merry Christmas!

Brandi said...

This is seriously so sweet and thoughtful. I'm sure your friend will cherish this gift the most.

Laura said...

What a neat idea! I'm sure your friend will love it!

Linda @ Life and Linda said...

Very nice and thoughtful gift. A wonderful gift for the new year...Blessings to you and your sweet family. Merry Christmas.