Thursday, July 26, 2012

Organized Spice Drawer~

***Updated spice drawer since post at Honey We're Home.  Linking up to Courtney's today for some organizational inspiration!

I have always kept our spices in a drawer.  We used to keep them in a smaller drawer in our island just beneath our cooktop.




However, my husband and I have accumulated several more spices as we have started experimenting with different types of dishes (we both love to cook and try new recipes).  So, the smaller drawer just wasn't working anymore.

We also recently purchased a new holder for our kitchen knives (post to come) so that we could keep them on the counter where they would be easily accessible to us while prepping our food.  That freed up a larger drawer right near where we prep our dishes...PERFECT as this is where we would most likely be seasoning our food as well.

We purchased an expandable in-drawer tray from the Container Store.  At first we stored the spices in their original bottles, but since they weren't all the same size and shape I felt like we were wasting some space.  I went back to the Container Store after seeing a post my dear blogging friend Ashli of Mini Manor posted about kitchen organization.  You can read Ashli's post here.  Also, if you have never checked out Ashli's blog...it is a must!  She is a genius at simple, green, practical home decor and organization!

Ashli used clear containers, all the same size, and labeled them using labels by Avery from the new Martha Stewart line available at Staples.  If you haven't checked out Martha's new line of office products, do!!

The end result was a very organized, functional spice drawer.



Another thing I purchased was this fantastic spice funnel.  The perfect size for transferring spices from a larger container to the smaller jars. 

Have you organized anything new lately?

25 comments:

Courtney {a thoughtful place} said...

Holy smokes. Very envious. That is fantastic. So well organized. Not surprised, my dear. Happy spicing!

Maillardville Manor said...

LOVE it! I love your labels more!! :) haha
Thanks for the shout out!!!
Love your spice drawer

Karena said...

Really perfect solution Lauren and they look so nice!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena
The 2012 Artist Series

simply brookes: said...

such a sucker for organizing, especially spice drawers. highly recommend.

Chassity (Look Linger Love) said...

Oh man I need to get more organized. I should put my spices in a drawer too!

natasha {schue love} said...

It looks great!! So organized and pretty too! ;)

emily said...

I never thought a spice drawer could look so good! Can you come organize mine?! :)

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

I need to do more organizing and you have inspired me, thank you! That looks wonderful, great job!

Katie said...

that is awesome. my kitchen drawers could use some serious organization. i'm putting it on my summer project list. : )

Unknown said...

I really need to organize my work area, but i have been putting it off!

love from San Francisco,
Britt+Whit

henning love said...

wow great job on the spice organizing. i love the spice drawer, it is all neat and right there for you to find. you don't have to go hunting and picking up every single spice jar for the one you are trying to find.

Nothing But Blue Skies... said...

Spice drawer envy! Very nice job, Lauren! It looks amazing!
xo-Lisa

Megan // Honey We're Home said...

LOVE it! I'm a dork- I couldn't figure out how to print on the round labels I bought for my spices. Yours look so pretty and neat!

Alexa said...

Oh my gosh I love how these are organized! So so cute!

Michaela said...

I love this. Organizing drawers makes me really happy! Loving the labels!

Val said...

You have completely inspired me.

Anonymous said...

Wow - love this! I have so many spices but because they aren't organised I tend to forget about them until they smell dusty and old.I would love a drawer like this! xx

Anna (My Design Ethos)

Amy {Fresh and Fancy} said...

Those labels are adorable! This drawer is convenient and pretty!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Nice....our spices are in a cabinet above our store top range fan I have to get a chair to get to them....love this idea! Thanks for stopping by my blog and good luck getting your baby off to school.....exciting times! Have a great weekend!

Anne said...

Fabulous organization! I really need to sort out my own after the holidays:)
~Anne

Unknown said...

Thanks for linking up hot mama! I hope you're enjoying your Friday.

Tiffany @ Savor Home said...

You are welcome to come to my house any time to organize my spice cabinet!

Katie said...

this is awesome. will you come do mine? : )

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I need to do this with my spices.

Amber B (Simple Dwellings) said...

This is amazing! I love the labels and how clear everything is! It is so well laid out! I'm very envious. I think I will make a trip to staples very soon. :)