Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Care for a Mint?

A very dear friend of mine purchased an old wooden herb crate for me several years ago.  I used to display candles in it from time to time in our family room.  Last summer I decided it would be a nice addition on our back porch, so hubby added some iron brackets to it and we turned it into a window box.  Since it is wood,  I don't like to plant directly in it.  So I purchased a plastic window box from Lowes to set inside it.  This year I decided to fill it with a variety of mint. 

I do have an herb garden, but hate to plant mint in it.  Mint is VERY invasive.  It shoots runners EVERYWHERE!!  There are tips and tricks that help (such as planting inside a coffee can that has had holes drilled for drainage), but I prefer to keep it contained, and even then it sometimes manages to escape!

This year I chose Apple, Orange, Peppermint and Chocolate...Smells heavenly.  I love to add it to iced tea, lemonade and to top off desserts.







This is one of those times I wish we had a scratch and sniff feature on our computer screens!  

7 comments:

Tara {The Silver Lining} said...

Oh yes I wish you had a scratch and sniff feature!! hah Mmmm all of those different types of mint sound delicious.

Katie said...

I wish you had a scratch and sniff too!! how fun to have all those!

henning love said...

i didn't know there were that many types of mint. i have heard of chocolate mint but all those other varieties. i guess you have to find a lot of recipes to use up all that mint

Sixty-Fifth Avenue said...

What a great idea!! I love the brackets too!

Leslie said...

Scratch and sniff would be perfect! I remember my mom and dad having cocktails or tea on the terrace at the end of a warm summer day. The fragrance is one of my favorites next to rosemary. I didn't realize there were so many types! The idea of containment is a good one as I do recall it traveling a bit :)

leslie

Tiffany @ Savor Home said...

Your planter is so cute! I had no idea mint came in all of those different flavors. I like it on my desserts and in drinks, too. I especially love to sniff it when I have migraines. it helps!

Nothing But Blue Skies... said...

I had no idea that there were so many types of mint!
I love your planter, and the old crate!!

xo-Lisa